Friday, October 26, 2012

Lessons From The Coast: Ruffled Feathers

Fussy Grackle © 2012, Susan E. Hance
 
 
Maybe it's a beautiful day, a productive work session, a family gathering, or just a trip to do errands. You go along in a good mood; then there she is. The one with the ruffled feathers. Many of us automatically think, "What did I do wrong." The answer, "Nothing."
 
It has taken me a long time to realize that there are some people who just have to look on the bad side. More than a cup half full, more than a worst case scenario-type person. A person who LOOKS for the bad. As my mother says, "If you walked on water, she'd say 'Look at her, she can't even swim.'"
 
I tried for many years to 'fix' the situation, but now I know, ruffled-feather types don't want a fix. That would take all the fun out of it for them.That realization makes me much happier too. I can walk on and enjoy life.
 
There are different types of difficult people in different settings and this article gives good suggestions for dealing with each of them.
 
The grackle in this photo had her(I think it's a her) hackles raised as I walked on the beach one day. I walked on and I'm sure she went on with her day, without any assistance from me. We were both better off.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment